This is a fun time of year, for children and adults alike. As we move closer to Halloween, many kids are preparing for a fun night of dressing up into their favorite characters and trick-or-treating. Although this is a night of excitement and spooky thrills, it is important to stay safe. This year, keep everyone safe and have a great time with these tips.
1. Plan and be mindful of your surroundings. Before heading out, plan your route so you don’t end up going too far from home. The last thing you want to do is find yourself far from home when your legs are exhausted from all that walking. Also, while you’re out, be mindful of your surroundings, staying on the sidewalks and crossing the street at street corners or at crosswalks.
2. Wear comfortable shoes. Because you’re going to be out and about, it’s important to make sure you’re wearing comfortable, well-fitting shoes. Avoid wearing heels, sandals, and anything that can end up hurting your feet early on in the night.
3. Stay visible and avoid dark clothing. While you’re out trick-or-treating make sure kids are well-lit and visible. Put reflective tape on costumes, carry glow sticks or a flashlight, and wear light, visible clothing so people, particularly drivers, can see kids crossing the street.
4. Avoid masks. Masks can prevent kids from seeing well and can make it difficult to breathe. Instead, paint your child’s face so they can still have the effect of wearing a mask, but can see and breathe with ease.
5. Check your child’s candy before they eat it. Before your children dig into their candy, go through the candy and throw out anything that is not in it’s original wrapper, has been opened, or looks like it’s been tampered with in any way.
Want some more tips for making this Halloween safe and enjoyable? Check out these great tips. What do you love most about Halloween? Share your stories with us below.